CNN – Apr 13, 2018
Miami Herald – Apr 13, 2018
BBC News – Apr 13, 2018
Sputnik International – Apr 13, 2018
International – teleSUR English – Apr 12, 2018
Deutsche Welle–Apr 13, 2018
The Borneo Post–18 hours ago
Reuters Africa–Apr 13, 2018
Prensa Latina–Apr 13, 2018
|Mike Nova’s Shared NewsLinks|
|Confirmation of the murder of El Comercio newspaper’s journalist team Photos and Images | european pressphoto agency|
|El Comercio newspaper team – Google Search|
|ecuador – Google Search|
CNN–Apr 13, 2018
(CNN) Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno said Friday that two Ecuadorian journalists and their driver, kidnapped while on assignment along the Colombian border, … “We have no proof of life and unfortunately we have information that confirms the murder of our countrymen,” Moreno said on Ecuador TV.
Ecuador Threatens ‘Strong Hand’ Against Rebels After Confirming …
NPR–Apr 13, 2018
Ecuadorian journalists kidnapped by rebels have been killed …
The Guardian–Apr 13, 2018
Marxist Rebels Killed Journalists and Driver, Ecuador’s President Says
New York Times–Apr 13, 2018
Ecuador’s President Says Kidnapped Journalists Were Likely Killed
TIME–Apr 12, 2018
National Geographic–Apr 12, 2018
The lush city of Baños de Agua Santa is hailed as the country’s adventure capital. This sleepy Ecuadoriantown is an outdoor enthusiasts dream. By Abby Sewell. Living in the shadow of one of South America’s most active volcanoes, the residents of Baños de Agua Santa in Ecuador are a captive audience …
CPJ Press Freedom Online–Apr 13, 2018
New York, April 13, 2018 –The Committee to Protect Journalists today condemned the killing of three members of an Ecuadoran reporting team who were kidnapped on March 26 in northern Ecuador near the Colombian border and called for the perpetrators to face justice. President Lenín Moreno …
The Guardian–Apr 9, 2018
The new mining site is in a concession awarded to one Celso Amable Ureno Quezada in January 2018, according to the Ministry of Mines, in Sucumbíos province in a stunning part of the Ecuadorian Amazon. Joselito claimed it was his first day working there and he didn’t know who the concession …
|Marxist Rebels Killed Journalists and Driver, Ecuadors President Says|
The group that killed the journalists, the Oliver Sinisterra Front, is one such faction, believed to be headed by a former FARC commander known as “El Guacho,” who leads several dozen rebels in the Colombian jungles.
According to El Comercio, the journalists and their driver were kidnapped in late March when they were reporting a story in the northern province of Esmeraldas, which borders one of Colombia’s most conflicted coca-producing regions.
The group were investigating the rising crime in the area, which was spilling into Ecuador and had included the bombing of a police station, in January, and other deadly attacks since.
On April 3, RCN Radio, one of the main networks in Colombia, released a so-called proof-of-life video of the three abducted people, in which they spoke of their captors’ demands, including the release of unidentified prisoners held in Ecuador, in exchange for their own lives.
In the 22-second clip, the three embraced each other and were chained together.
“Lenín Moreno, our lives are in your hands,” said Mr. Ortega.
On Wednesday, the Oliver Sinisterra Front issued a statement announcing the prisoners’ deaths. The group asserted that the two governments had conducted military operations near where the rebels were holding the hostages, “which produced the deaths of the journalists and the driver.”
The communiqué resulted in a confused response from both Colombia and Ecuador, which said they knew of no rescue operation. Ecuador’s government initially said there was no evidence they had been killed.
But on Thursday, photos began to circulate of what appeared to be the bodies of the hostages. They were facedown in the jungle, lifeless and still in chains.
Mr. Moreno, who had been at the Summit of the Americas, abruptly returned to Quito on Thursday evening. On Friday, he said the journalists were dead.
|El Comercio newspaper team – Google Search|
ABC News–Apr 12, 2018
He said elite troops would soon be deployed to the northern border area where the employees of El Comercio newspaper were last seen nearly three weeks ago while investigating a rise in drug-fueled violence. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos dispatched his top military advisers to Quito to …
Kidnapped journalist team killed in Ecuador
The Express Tribune–Apr 13, 2018
Kidnapped Ecuador journalist team confirmed dead
The Sun Daily–Apr 13, 2018
IFEX–Apr 3, 2018
On the afternoon of March 26, 2018, a team of journalists from the Ecuadorian newspaper El Comerciowere sadly kidnapped. This team was made up of a reporter, a photographer and a driver, and the incident took place in Mataje, located north of Esmeraldas, an area bordering Colombia where recent …
Ecuador doing ‘everything possible’ to free reporters
The Sun Daily–Apr 3, 2018
The Borneo Post–17 hours ago
The three men, who worked for the influential El Comercio newspaper – were kidnapped on March 26 while covering a story on violence along the border, where Ecuadoran forces have been battling Colombian rebels engaged in drug trafficking. Reporter Javier Ortega, 32, photographer Paul Rivas, 45, …
|Increased shock by Ecuadorian journalists killed|
By Associated Press 04/14/2018 | 10: 49 a.m.
QUITO.- The spirits of Latin America were shaken this afternoon, when the death of three Ecuadorian journalists kidnapped by dissidents of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) was confirmed.
Shortly after President Lenin Moreno reported on the deaths of these members of the El Comercio newspaper team, who were initially kidnapped on the border with Colombia, international criticism did not wait. In the framework of the start of the Summit of the Americas, which has just started in Lima, governments and organizations rejected the facts and demanded that the situation not go unpunished.
Later, the president of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos, reported from Peru that the International Red Cross had been authorized to search for the bodies. In his statement I have added that he does not know “the details of where this heinous crime was carried out.”
The captors of the journalist Javier Ortega, 32 years old; the photographer Paúl Rivas, 45, and the driver Efraín Segarra, 60, sued swap for three prisoners and the breaking of an anti-drug agreement between both countries. In reporting on his death, the Ecuadorian president said: “Beyond the efforts, we have confirmed that these criminals would seem to never have the will to deliver them safe and sound … the only thing they have wanted is to buy time. ”
Moreno offered a reward of $ 100,000 for information that leads to the capture of alias “Guacho”, leader of the dissident group of the FARC that would have taken the communicators captive.
Ecuador y Colombia lanzaron una ofensiva militar con equipos de élite en la región fronteriza donde los comunicadores habían sido secuestrados el 26 de marzo cuando habían llegado a la zona fronteriza para obtener información periodística.
Tras darse a conocer las muertes, Santos dispuso el viaje a Ecuador del ministro de Defensa, Luis Carlos Villegas; del comandante general de las Fuerzas Armadas, general Alberto Mejía, y del director de la policía, general Jorge Nieto, entre otros para coordinar acciones.
Por la tarde, el régimen decretó duelo nacional del 13 al 16 de abril en honor de los fallecidos, mientras la delegación de la guerrilla colombiana del Ejército de Liberación Nacional (ELN) para los diálogos de paz con el gobierno de Colombia en Quito, expresó en un comunicado su solidaridad a Ecuador “frente a la agresión de grupos narcotraficantes que han asesinado a los dos periodistas y su conductor”. Identificó a los agresores como “bandas narco-paramilitares” dedicadas al negocio del narcotráfico “y no a la lucha revolucionaria, así algunos de sus integrantes hayan pertenecido en el pasado a las FARC”.
Mónica Mendoza, macro editora de El Comercio, dijo a la AP que “estamos desechos, hay gente que ha tenido que ir al dispensario médico por tranquilizantes, es muy duro, alternamos el trabajo con oraciones, minutos de silencio, canciones en honor de nuestros compañeros caídos”.
Describió a Javier, su colega fallecido, como “un chico encantador, alegre, muy inteligente y dispuesto a todo, toda la redacción está muy afectada”.
Poco después, la Sociedad Interamericana de Prensa (SIP) dijo en un comunicado que “no solo estos tres colegas sino también los pueblos de Ecuador y Colombia, y el periodismo de toda América Latina, han sido ultrajados por este tipo de crimen inhumano y atroz que creíamos desaparecido de la región”.
El documento añadió que “en esta hora de luto y dolor, exigimos Justicia y Protección, así como el fin de la Impunidad, en nombre de los miles de periodistas que a diario arriesgan sus vidas para mantener al público informado”.
Cientos de ecuatorianos recibieron en medio de gritos y llanto la noticia de la muerte mientras estaban concentrados frente al palacio de gobierno en el centro de Quito.
Decenas de periodistas de varios países de la región guardaron un minuto de silencio en la sede de la Cumbre de las Américas por la muerte de sus colegas, mientras mujeres y hombres dejaron sus cámaras, micrófonos y libretas de apuntes sobre las mesas de una sala de redacción dentro del centro de convenciones de la cita regional en Lima.
Analyst Grace Jaramillo, from Queen’s University in Kinston, Canada, explained to the AP that Ecuador is facing this situation because “it did not manage to articulate an intelligence system focused on international organized crime”, while noting that the country was not prepared “for violence on the border with Colombia.”
He added that to handle issues such as violence and irregular armed groups with a presence on the border “you must have an extraordinary intelligence service and share intelligence with other stronger countries on the continent … and Ecuador does not have”.